Standing Rules of the Board of Directors
as amended April 2018
- During their tenure, members of the Board of Directors, have a primary obligation to the Society.
- This obligation includes attendance at functions of the Society authorized by the Board, of which they are members. Members living more than 100 miles (160km) from the event may be excused.
- Board members must exercise their abilities on behalf of the Society and of the members who elected them to their positions.
- A primary obligation of the members of the Board is to recruit members, to “talk up” the Society among friends; and to serve as recruiting ambassadors among other groups of which they are members.
- Board meetings are restricted to Society members. Non-members must receive prior approval from the Board.
- Actions of the Board remain confidential until the minutes of any meetings are published, except for excerpts listing awards and memberships granted.
- All directors are expected to perform the functions of the office to which they are elected or appointed. If they discover materials pertaining to another director’s office, they should forward that information immediately to the director or other officer in charge of that particular office or program.
- Members of the Board absent from two (2) consecutive meetings of the Board without proxy or permission, or from ten (10) consecutive meetings with or without proxy, will be considered as having resigned from the Board.
- Members of the Board of Directors who report no time or expenses for twelve consecutive months shall be considered as having resigned from the Board.
- Board members heading “departments” of the Society are expected to give annual reports of the activities which they oversee.
- Directors wishing to have an item placed on the agenda should inform Headquarters at least ten calendar days prior to the pertinent meeting.
- Directors wishing to have an item distributed to their fellow directors must forward this information to the Consuls for distribution. If possible this information should coincide with some other mailing to avoid additional postage.
This page maintained by the Webmaster at the direction of the Board of Directors. Last modified 21 April 2018.