NCR Rule of the Company
The Noble Company of the Rose (referred to herein as the “Noble Company”) and all property and funds (whether derived from dues or otherwise) belong to The Augustan Society, Inc. (which is the legal entity, incorporated in 1966) whose operations are governed by its By-Laws and Standing Rules, which delegates to the said Noble Company such powers only as are referred to in these presents. A member of the Noble Company is not liable for any charge, responsibility, or encumbrance other than his dues and absence fee (if any) to the Noble Company, nor is he entitled to any right, privilege, or service other than those set out herein.
Rule of the Company
- Membership of the Noble Company is solely by the invitation of the Council of the Noble Company through the Office of the Chancellor.
- There is no limit to the number of members which the Noble Company may have. Any person admitted by the Council will be a member of the Noble Company.
- Individuals who have satisfied the following conditions:
- Are members in good standing of The Augustan Society, Inc., and
- Have registered their arms with The Augustan Society, Inc., and
- Have been accepted in the rank of Knight in a listed Order of Chivalry, or are members of the Society of the Cincinnati, or are members of the Order of the Augustan Eagle, may be admitted to membership in the Noble Company in the following classes, that is to say:
- Knight of the Noble Company, who upon admission to the Noble Company will pay the annual dues (oblations).
- Esquire of the Noble Company, who upon admission to the Noble Company will pay the annual dues (oblations).
- Dame of the Noble Company, who upon admission to the Noble Company will pay the annual dues (oblations), unless such dues have been waived by the Magister Rosae.
- The expression “Member” or “Members” whenever used herein will be deemed to refer to and include the above, except where such classes may be specifically and distinctly referred to.
- The Council may also admit to the Noble Company:
- Honorary members and/or Patrons, any such eminent individuals as it may deem fit to be accorded such an honor.
- Affiliates, any such individuals as it may deem will be of service to the Noble Company and/or deserve to be part thereof, though not fulfilling the conditions, or part of them, as stated in Rule III.
- Any individual who ceases to be a member, honorary member, or affiliate by reason of resignation, default or any other cause must return his Certificate of Membership and insignia and cease to use any description or insignia implying connection with the Noble Company.
- It is the right and prerogative of any member of the Noble Company to propose for consideration by the Council any individuals of whom he has a personal and definite knowledge, and for whose suitability for membership he is willing to vouch, and in such form and manner as the Council may from time to time prescribe.
- It is the prerogative of an Affiliate to request transfer to another category should circumstances warrant it, as it will be the prerogative of a Member to vary his category should the circumstances warrant it.
- Upon admission and payment of dues, a Certificate of Membership will be issued, together with the breast badge insignia of the Noble Company. There are no separate payments for the Certificate and badge.
- Subject to the provisions of the rules herein:
- All individuals admitted to Knight or Esquire membership will on making petition pay the sum of $200.00.
- An individual who is admitted as affiliate will on election pay an entrance fee of $200.00.
- Honorary members need pay no dues.
- All individuals admitted as Dames will on making petition pay the sum of $200.00, unless such sum has been waived by the Magister Rosae.
- All members pay an annual oblation of $55.00, except for honorary members and dames for whom oblations have been waived, and life members.
- Life dues are based on an actuarial basis at the time paid, and relieve members of the annual oblation. (Quote on request.)
- Annual oblations are payable on or before the 1st of January in each year.
- The Council may if it thinks fit, discontinue the membership of any member or affiliate whose dues are in arrears.
- Notice of resignation of any member must be given in writing and, unless otherwise expressed, will be deemed to take effect from the 1st of January following receipt thereof.
- If the Council considers that any member's conduct is contrary to the interests of the Noble Company and/or injurious to its reputation, it may terminate his membership without assigning any reason and/or explanation. Any person whose membership is terminated under this rule will forfeit all privileges of membership and all rights against the Noble Company.
- No member will use the Noble Company or his membership thereof for business purposes.
- The Council of the Noble Company:
- The Council which will govern the Noble Company will be appointed by the Magister Rosae, and confirmed by the Board of Directors of The Augustan Society, Inc.
- The members of the Council of the Noble Company:
- The Magister Rosae, who is elected or re-elected annually by the members in Chapter, or by mail vote, and confirmed by the Board of Directors of The Augustan Society, Inc.
- A Lieutenant Magister Rosae.
- A Receiver General.
- A Herald.
- A Chancellor.
- A Superintendent of the Chapel or Chapels of the Noble Company.
- A quorum of the Council of the Noble Company shall consist of not fewer than one-half (1/2) of the number of members authorized above. Members of the Council may grant proxy to other members of the Council.
- When the Magister Rosae is unable to secure enough volunteers to form a quorum of the Rose Council after reasonable effort, he may rule without a council, assuming all duties and responsibilities of the vacant offices, provided that written notice be given to the members with a final invitation to volunteer.
- Members of the Noble Company are accorded the postnominal initials:
- Knight: KCR
- Dame: DCR
- Esquire: ECR
- Members of the Noble Company have the privilege of using the badge insignia of the Noble Company in illustrations of their personal armorial achievements, such use to conform to good heraldic usage, wherein the entire badge insignia may be included along with other honors below or at the side of the shield.
- This organization is not, and does not claim to be, an order of chivalry.
- The insignia of the Noble Company consists of an heraldic rose: barbed and seeded proper. The Insignia worn by members is worn on the left breast. The insignia for Esquires shall be the Rose alone, for Knights and Dames the Rose upon a silver starburst.
- The mantle or church cape is wine red, lined black, and bearing on the left the insignia of the Noble Company.
- These rules may be altered, revoked, or supplemented at any time by majority vote of the Council, subject to ratification by the Board of Directors of The Augustan Society. These rules and all alterations will be mailed to all members, and all members will be deemed to have full knowledge and to have subscribed to them.
As amended July 2014.
This page maintained by the Webmaster. in consultation with the Council of the Noble Company. Last modified 4 November 2015.